Pictures and History

David Lindsay was buried at Elliotsville, in Shelby County, Alabama five miles from Montevallo on Highway 17. The David Lindsay Chapter was formed in 1927, and named for David Lindsay. In 1953 the David Lindsay DAR Chapter placed and dedicated the marker that is shown here.


The David Lindsay Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution was organized in Montevallo, Alabama in 1927 by Mrs. E. H. Wills which consisted of sixteen charter members. Mrs. Wills was elected as the first Chapter Regent. Additional early leadership of the chapter was provided by several charter members associated with Alabama College, now the University of Montevallo, and others. Since its founding, the David Lindsay Chapter has been active and involved with national and local programs.  It continues to grow with a strong and dedicated membership.

The chapter's namesake, David Lindsay, served as a Private with the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th Regiment, Virginia Continental Lines. On April 2, 1784, Lindsay received 100 acres in a land bounty warrant granted by Virginia for military services in the “War for Independence”. The Lindsay family was in Shelby County as early as the 1820 census. Lindsay (1750-1835) and his wife Mary Casey Lindsay (1750-1847) are buried in the Lindsay Historical Site along Shelby County Highway 17 in Maylene, Alabama. Mrs. A. W. Vaughn (Chapter Regent 1948-1950) was instrumental for much of the research to locate his grave. In 1976, during the City of Montevallo’s celebration of the American Bicentennial, the chapter placed a chapter yearbook and a very old silk flag in a capsule to be opened in 100 years. The capsule is located in Montevallo.

The chapter’s 50th anniversary was celebrated in 1977 with a membership of thirty-four members. In 1992, during the 65th anniversary of the chapter, Mrs. Anne Kelly (Chapter Regent 1990-1995) was awarded The Eagle Forum Award for “Outstanding Efforts for God, Home and Country”.  The chapter’s “Washington Oak” gavel was presented to the Smith-Harrison museum, now the Karl C. Harrison Museum of George Washington
.
In October 2006, a plaque was placed on “The Rock” at the American Village, Montevallo, Alabama, honoring David Lindsay as a Revolutionary War soldier and Shelby County, Alabama pioneer. Mrs. Helen Phillips was Chapter Regent at this time. On November 4, 2007, the 80th anniversary of the chapter was celebrated with a reception at the Karl C. Harrison Museum of George Washington in Columbiana, Alabama. Mrs. Rita Reid was serving as Chapter Regent at that time.

In April 2008, the chapter received permission from NSDAR to add the DAR Memorial and Historical Marker to the David Lindsay rock at the American Village. This marker was dedicated in October, 2008, with chapter members, ASDAR representatives, and Lindsay family members in attendance. Mrs. Rita Reid, Chapter Regent, led the dedication ceremony.



PICTURED LEFT TO RIGHT; JUDITH ARTHUR, RITA REID, MARGARET CLARK AND PHOEBE ROBINSON IN FRONT OF MEMORIAL